Table of Contents
While some redirects are harmless, some can be harmful. You may be taken to unwanted websites unrelated to the topic you are browsing at all. This can make redirects very annoying. When many redirects are opened, these open tabs consume many essential resources. Here I will show you how to prevent website redirects in popular web browsers.
Note: If you are looking for 301 blocking redirects, you need to be aware that there is no way to block these requests. However, you can follow this guide and know how to stop page redirects for other kinds of redirects, such as ads or phishing sites.
How to stop automatic page redirection?
Almost all web browsers have built-in tools to block meta-refresh tag redirects. Here I will explain how to stop web page redirects in web browsers.
Google Chrome is one of the most popular browsers globally, thanks to speed and security optimizations. Chrome has been blocking these redirects automatically for quite some time now.
To confirm and disable redirects, follow these steps:
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the hamburger menu (≡) and click settings.
- Click advanced.
- Under Privacy & Security, make sure Safe Browsing is enabled.
- Under Content Settings, click on Pop-ups and redirects.
- Make sure pop-ups are set to Block.
By default, you will find it disabled. However, you can always turn pop-ups into blocked ones if you don’t.
Alternatively, you can install a Chrome extension called Skip Redirect to prevent redirects from being opened.
Firefox is an excellent alternative to Google Chrome. It’s also super feature-rich and customizable as well.
To block redirects in Firefox, follow these steps:
- open Firefox.
- Click on the hamburger menu (≡). Select Options.
- In the left pane, select Privacy & Security
- Under the Permissions section, click on the checkbox next to Block pop-ups.
This is usually checked by default. If you don’t find this checkbox by default, enable it to disable pop-ups and redirects.
You will get a message: “Firefox has prevented this page from automatically redirecting” The next time some page tries to redirect you to other pages.
5. In the “Security” section, check the “Block dangerous and misleading content” box. If not, check the box to end unwanted site redirection.
The Microsoft Edge browser is gradually gaining popularity as a reliable browser due to its speed and ease of use. Markup tools are excellent for reading stuff on the web. Edge also allows you to block website redirects.
To block redirects in Edge, follow these steps:
- Open Edge.
- Click on the hamburger menu (≡), select settings.
- Click on Privacy & Security Settings.
- Turn on the toggle below ‘Protect me from malicious sites and downloads with Windows Defender SmartScreen.
- Restart Edge to confirm the settings.
macOS users may also suffer from redirects. If you use Safari as your primary browser, you can also disable pop-ups and redirects in it.
- Open Safari.
- Click on Safari in the top left corner between the Apple logo and the file. Select Settings.
- Under the Security tab, check the box next to Warn me when visiting a fraudulent website.
- In the pop-up windows, click the block.
- Restart Safari.
If you have malware or adware installed on your system, sometimes these applications can also open website redirects and cause your system to become unresponsive. You may download adware as part of related applications, usually associated as checkboxes during the installation of other applications.
Install an antivirus and run a deep scan to eliminate malware and viruses that affect your system and cause redirects.
You can also use antivirus applications such as Malwarebytes or ADWcleaner. This software blocks the redirect virus from installing itself on your system.
In the End
While not all redirects are malicious, some of them can be used to redirect you to phishing websites that can harm the data stored on your PC. Some of these redirects may also install an unwanted virus on your system. Now you know “How to stop redirects” in all popular web browsers using the methods above. Comment below if you found this helpful and discuss the same further.
You can also read: Download Windows 11 ISO Image: Windows 11 Unlocked